Monday, April 1, 2013

The Perfect Chair

Generally, when choosing things for baby and baby's room, I try to pick items that are very reasonably priced. I don't want to buy six pieces of equipment when one would do, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on a wildly expensive piece of furniture that the baby will outgrow quickly. One area, however, where I have prepared myself to splurge a little bit is the rocking chair (or glider--I'm not picky).

While you can certainly get a perfectly fine rocking chair at a very reasonable price at a discount retailer or on craigslist, I am assuming that this is a piece of furniture that we will be keeping in our home for the long term, so I'm ready to shop around a bit....

This beauty is available at Room and Board, and comes in a number of fabrics and colors, including an easy-to-clean polyester microfiber. It looks like it is generally about $800-900, depending on fabric options.



Less comfortable (but so beautiful) is the classic Eames rocker, which comes in a million colors. The Eames rocker is available at a number of retailers at a fairly wide range of prices. I just love the pop of color, as seen in my Robot Nursery post!



Another thing that I am considering is purchasing a rocking chair from Chairloom, and having them reupholster it in something wonderful.  I love their work--for example, look at this before-and-after of an adorable child's rocking chair:

Full_chairloom_ba_hablechildsrocker

A couple of years ago, I had them redo this chair for me in Cayenne Stripe by Hable Construction. Isn't it fun?? I think this time through I would choose something a little kid-friendlier than linen, though. Maybe something indoor/outdoor for easy cleanup!

Full_before_after81

No comments:

Post a Comment